[A winner was selected, congrats Genevieve! I wish I could send each of you a copy!]
I got to know the author of Grocery Gardening, Jean Ann Van Krevelen, a little bit via twitter (she is @jeanannvk). With a few 140 character strings and lots of other people also tweeting, she brought my awareness to this great book.
The premise of the book is to help people gain the knowledge they need to begin to grow their own food.
I think it takes a great viewpoint – approach people who want good food but who mainly know their food as things you buy at a store, not raise with your own two hands.
New gardeners can often feel overwhelmed. One might start gardening for the sake of securing safe wholesome food but very soon the truth emerges, gardening is not intention, it is action and observation and attention.
With this book, the entry level gardener can begin to make their segway gracefully from poking veggies in the store to growing their own.
The book is somewhat unusual in that there are several contributing authors who speak from experience: Jean Ann Van Krevelen, Amanda Thomsen, Robin Ripley, and Teresa O’Connor.
The photography is crisp and very inviting. The pages are packed with information on growing as well as recipes for using your bounty! The mixture of voices very much evokes the current trends in social media where one is bathed in a diverse community of knowledge, viewpoints, attitudes.
- Gardening 101
- Organic disease and pest management
- Purchasing quality produce
- Preserving your harvest
I am happy to recommend this lovely book to anyone who is interested in learning more about growing their own food and also how to enjoy their harvest throughout the year!
Ok, here are the details on this contest:
- Open to US residents only
- Prize is my review copy of this delightful book
- Enter by tweeting about this post and contest
- Leave a comment with your tweet
- You can enter a second time by blogging about this contest and then leaving a comment here with a link to the post
- Contest runs from Feb 10, 2010 as of this post until next Wednesday Feb 2/17/2010, 5 pm EST
- I will choose the winner with a random number generator
Suggested tweet that you can just cut and paste:
I entered 2 win a copy of “Grocery Gardening” by @jeanannvk at @nika7k ‘s site, here! http://bit.ly/bZxUTo You can enter 2 win too! RT Pls
- Paperback: 256 pages
- Publisher: Cool Springs Press (February 1, 2010)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 1591864631
- ISBN-13: 978-1591864639
- Product Dimensions: 9.9 x 7.9 x 0.6 inches
- Shipping Weight: 1.6 pounds